Monday, July 9, 2007

I don't know why I can't add titles to these entries in Thailand. Worked fine in Cambodia.

So I'm leaving BKK in about a half hour. Really, not for like 4, but it takes 1.5 hrs to get to the airport, and then I've got to do the obligatory wait in the airport.

Final thoughts on BKK:

1. This is a city that will seriously rip you off if you're not a smart traveller. Tons of "hidden" fees, lots of shady dealings. It's funny for a day and then annoying after that. My advice if you ever come: tell them you live here. They're a lot more honest once you say that. Learn to say a couple things in Thai (which I didn't) and you'll probably be okay too.

2. Sorta related, but the street peddlers are relentless. In Cambodia, you'd ignore their first statement and they'd stop. Here they just hound and hound you, sometimes follow you down the street. I've just gotten used to being a prick to all of them because it shuts them up.

3. This city is a mess. If you've ever wanted to research the merits of centralized planning, and need a counterexample, BKK's a good choice.

4. It's a lot of fun here though, corruption, pollution, near-constant annoyances and mind-boggling gaps in public transportation aside. I'd recommend a weekend at most, like I did.

So, so long Thailand. I wish I could've seen more. Would've been nice to get to Phuket / Krabie / Ko Samui / etc. but I just didn't have the time.

Next stop: Singapore.

- m

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike:
A different "spirit" has come over your entries (I still think you are somewhere near Cleveland)I sense, that you sense, your trip is almost over! There is a bounce in the step of your keyboard...not that there is anything wrong with that! No baseball until Thursday...I might as well be in Cambodia!
Later,
JLB