Saturday, July 7, 2007

I'm in Bangkok. I've been here since yesterday. I'm staying on Khao San which is a big backpackers district. Really it feels like a bunch of weirdos and Western brats (which I suppose I am). It's just sorta the whole "backpacker" mentality that gets on my nerves I guess. Generally rich people pretending they're poor, haha.

Yesterday I got lost around this part of town / Chinatown / etc. Went and got a drink at a bar, saw some local music which was really good actually.

Today I woke up early cause I went to bed early. My hotel -- which was in and out of power during a 20 minute period yesterday -- didn't have running water this morning, which was great. I just got dressed and went to the local Wats (temples). Took a boat across the river and climbed Wat Arun, which was tall and gave me vertigo (I think you get vertigo from heights, maybe, I don't know). I took a tuk-tuk to Siam Square next. The tuk-tuk driver gave me two options, either a.) pay 200 Baht for the ride (around $6) or b.) pay 10B (about 30 cents) but go visit a tailor that he had a "deal" with on the way. I chose option "B" and was forced to poke around a tailor for 10 minutes, but it saved me around $5.50. Nice.

Siam Square is a mess of shopping malls and restaurants, all incredibly modern and nice. It took forever to get there and the first thing I saw was an Au Bon Pain and the hunger in my stomach made me go in, although I was excited to try the local Thai cuisine. I wandered around the square for a bit and then had enough. Took the skytrain to Lumphini Park, which is a beautiful park in the middle of the city. Sat there and relaxed. Next I headed over to the Red Light District just to see what it was like. It was 3PM, mind you, so nothing was open, but I did see the exteriors of sex clubs with names both innocuous ("Tip Top") and hysterical ("Super Pussy.")

Eventually I ended back up at Siam Square. It started to rain so I figured seeing a movie was a decent option, wait out the rain. The only thing playing in English was Die Hard 4, so I saw it. Was okay for a Die Hard movie I guess. Before this I had amazing Thai stir fry with pork and vegetables... really outstanding food. Best meal I've had in a while but it didn't fill me up.

Grabbed a tuk-tuk back to Khao San and now here we stand. I'm totally exhausted (my eyes are drooping as I type this and it's only 9:50PM). My whole goal of spending very little money on this trip fell through as soon as I sit down and figured out that I could spend $60/day and still come home with enough money to pay rent and live comfortably. So things are a lot more fun now!

Um... that's about it. I'm back in the USA a week from Wednesday and I'd really love if someone could get me the new Spoon, Iron & Wine, Interpol, Okkervil River, White Stripes, New P's, etc.

Until later.

- m

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, I'm jealous of your thai food experience..although I had some awesome thai in switzerland (real authentic). I could seriously live on that stuff for the rest of my life. The New P's album is really bad, but I'll have it for you. Later

dc

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike:
I'm at your Dad's and we are both jealous about this entry today.....no further comment on that subject.
Tigers 2-2 in the 8th...going out to the pool...looking forward to seeing you soon.
JLB