Sunday, July 15, 2007

Phnom-enal

I've wanted to name an entry that all summer. Saved it for the last day of the trip. Don't believe the hype: delayed gratification is great.

So, yeah, I suppose this it, dear friends. In a little over 24 hours I'll be climbing aboard a plane out of here to Hong Kong. I'll be there overnight, and then back in the States Wednesday afternoon (EST). It's amazing how, due to time zones, I can leave Hong Kong at 8AM on Wednesday and arrive in Detroit at 3:30PM the same day. Crazy, I tell you.

It's been real. It's pretty incredible to look back at my first few days here and realize the growth, the change, the maturation that has occurred. I feel like I can take on the world now, as cheesy as that sounds.

I don't think I can look at the world the same way ever again. It's really life-changing to live amid such poverty, corruption, suffering. It really makes me appreciate what I have, and it also makes me a bit sad. Right now, I am really looking forward to wheels hitting the ground in Detroit, hearing the stewardess over the PA saying "Welcome to America/Detroit." It's my home. I miss it. But it's sad to me that so many people in the world live almost the opposite existence as I do.

But it is time. It's been a good run. I've tried to recollect all I've done and I can't even begin -- I've lived this to the fullest. I regret almost nothing. I'll miss a lot. Home right now seems sort of boring, but good: when you've pushed yourself as much as I have, you get to a point where "not pushing" seems incredibly ... uneventful. This is how I feel about home right now. I miss you all, and I love it there, but part of me is going to miss the challenge. It's made me feel alive.

Cambodia's a sad place. I'm disappointed that I didn't leave a bigger mark. Hopefully something I did at some point did something.

At least I'll know I tried.

I suppose the blog is now over. I'll probably have one or two more posts to cover the travel back / arrival, just to make the whole blog complete. It's weird. I left two months ago today. I remember typing the blog post about leaving in a few hours and trying to hold back the tears.

I can't believe it's over.

Thanks for the memories, Cambodia.

In the eternal words of Borat Sagidyev, "I go to America!"

Later.

- m

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike:
Good morning...I just read the last three entries...pretty heavy stuff for Monday morning. In response....be affected, be changed, be challenged, be called, but not defeated, not discouraged! Some are called to change the world, some are called to change a nation, some a state, some a city, some a town....all of us are called to try to change individuals, daily.....don't ever let the magnitude of the worlds problems keep you from doing what God called you to do!! Looking forward to seeing you later this week!!!
JLB

Unknown said...

I know you've got the wedding to take care of when you get back, but after that its time for hot dogs, tigers, and mini-golf. have a safe trip back, see you in a few days,

Jamie

Anonymous said...

Roof roof!

-Jack

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Notebook, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://notebooks-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.