Saturday, May 19, 2007

Phnom Penh

Got into PP late last night after a 2.5 hour delay in Hong Kong. Slept a lot on the plane. Flying over Cambodia at night was very strange: complete darkness save for a few lights every few miles, then Phnom Penh was all lit up. The airport was surprisingly nice although customs took forever. The people from KiD (my job) picked me up; I felt bad because they were waiting for 3 hours to get me due to the delay.

Driving into PP at night was crazy. Run down. Wild dogs. People standing around in packs by motorcycles. Garbage all over.

Got to the Boddhi Tree (my guesthouse) which is nice. Right across the street from Tuol Seung prison, the KR torture center in the 1970's. A bit creepy, yes. The BT is very western and well-staffed. I have a room on the second floor of an old European-style house. My bed has a mosquito net and sleeping in it makes me feel like a princess. I have a small balcony and my own bathroom with a toilet and shower.

I met up with Erin, a UM student, and we chatted for a bit. Then I took a melatonin and slept for about 10 hours. Woke up this morning feeling on time w/the local time, finally.

Ate some eggs bacon and toast for breakfast. They were playing Jose Gonzales and Thom Yorke in the cafe. Met up with a few other UM students and we've been doing things together; took a tuk-tuk (motocycle w/4 person carriage attached) around town and saw some sights.

All in all I feel okay. Things are uncertain and I occasionally feel very stressed out. I already feel like my life has changed. This morning I woke up and thought about being in the pool at home and I couldn't believe my life exists. We're all very blessed indeed.

Until later.
- m

3 comments:

Tom Church said...

Mike,

Keep writing man, I'll be watching your progress from a distance!

Anonymous said...

You were freaking out about your accomodations, and on your third day you feel like a princess!!! It could be worse huh? I am so proud of you little Mike. Enjoy your adventure and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers back home. I love you-Lindsey

Alain said...

dude i dont have a pool