Sunday, May 20, 2007

Sunday in PP

It's Sunday here, Saturday back home. Yesterday we went to the Central Market. It was out of control. Chickens running around. Smelled like a sewer. People selling everything imaginable for dirt cheap. iPod nanos go for about US$25, problem is I don't know if I could clear customs w/them.



They also had a mall next door with a Western grocery store. I got some cheese & crackers and cookies. The mall also had a pizza place and a burger place, both of which looked obnoxious, a bit like Red Robin. I plan on trying both soon.

We all went back to the apartment of Haley and Zara, two other girls that are here. Their apartment is totally nice, right by the Tonle Sap riverfront, two levels, fully furnished, etc. It even had cable TV and I was watching some soccer, Manchester United v. AC Milan I think, and saw some CNN & Britney Spears (circa 2000, thankfully) on Asian MTV. They even had HBO. Also, Asian ESPN was playing a lot of clips of the Tigers' playoffs from last year and it made me feel right at home.

Came back last night and had my first Cambodian food. Pretty good. It was essentially Cambodian noodles with beef and a ton of cauliflower, and I hate cauliflower, but it tasted alright if you dipped it into this spicy sauce that came with it. The noodles and beef were good. Also, had some carrots and green peppers mixed in.

Fell asleep last night at like 10. Woke up today at 3AM and have been awake ever since. I had "church" around six by reading 40 pages of a Christian book Ashley gave me, then got really homesick and wrote in my journal for about 45 minutes. I switch between loving it and hating here. Guess that's to be expected. Good news is I can call home for super cheap. Finally got in touch with Ashley today (which was awesome) and our 20 minute phone call cost me fifty cents. Good news there.

Today we went to Tuol Sleng, the torture center. Very, very sad. The KR were brutal people.

We're going apartment shopping in an hour, so that should be pretty boring. There's a Cambodian wedding party going on in the street outside the internet cafe -- they just prop up a tent and everyone gets underneath it, like a graduation party right in the middle of Schoenherr.

GO WINGS!
- m